My wife and I celebrated fifteen happy years of marriage in early January. We started dating when I was 20 years old back in 1991. Starting as a teenager, though, I never really dated a girl for very long if I knew that I couldn’t or wouldn’t marry her. This may seem harsh, but to me it was just pragmatic. Why waste a lot of money and time if I knew it wasn’t going to work out? I think I was pretty picky, but not unrealistically so.
In my opinion, this is an excellent analogy to consider if you are trying to choose a listing agent or buyer’s agent in Austin, or anywhere, for that matter.
When you are choosing someone to assist you with what will likely be the largest single purchase that you will ever make, it’s a lot like dating, but you (probably) won’t be marrying your real estate agent. However, you will probably be spending a good amount of time around this person. As such, you want this to be a pleasant experience.
What are some key elements from the world of dating that can also help you to know if you have chosen the right agent? I am so happy that you asked:
- Does this person make me feel comfortable? If not, why not?
- Does this agent grate on my nerves? This is a very bad sign. If you have a bad feeling upfront, move on down the road and find someone better suited to your personality.
- Is this someone who seems to have a brain?
- Is this guy/girl a good kisser? Okay, maybe that is not something that translates from the dating world.
- Does he/she make me laugh? For me, a sense of humor is absolutely critical, which is why I put it on the list of criteria for agents that I hire. The ability to laugh can help make tough situations much easier.
- Is my agent too “clingy” or desperate? This is a big red flag. You don’t want to smell desperation (or too much cologne).
- Is my Realtor loyal to me?
Your agent is someone whom you need to respect. If you have any warning signs or feel weird around your agent, break up quickly. I promise you that it probably won’t get better or easier.
I have been selling homes in the Austin, Texas area for over 11 years full-time. If you are looking to buy or sell a home in central Texas, call me first.
Jason Crouch, Broker/Owner – Austin Texas Homes, LLC 512-796-7653 (cell)